Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Sight To Remember


Ahhh....the rain is falling (actually it's soaking wet pouring), I have coffee by my side, and soft music playing in the background. Looks like a great night to UPDATE THE BLOG!! *cracks knuckles to prepare*

After last week's craziness, I definitely needed something to boost my spirits. After Renee had left on Thursday night, I remembered that there was supposed to be a shuttle launch sometime soon. When I looked it up on NASA, I realized that I still had an opportunity to catch it on Friday night. Whaaaa?!?!?!? A NIGHT LAUNCH?!?!?! Could I really be this lucky?!?!?! You hear such wonderful things about it, how gorgeous it is, how amazing it is when it lights up the night sky...were I to be that lucky to witness such history?

Indeed! The Discovery launch (STS-128) carrying the COLBERT treadmill was set for 11:59 on Friday, August 28, 2009. I have tried TWICE already to catch a launch since I've been out here, once was while I was at school and the other from my balcony. Both...a bust! *frown*

So, feeling like a giddy little 8th grade girl, I did what any other shuttle launch seeking enthusiasts did...reasearched the best place to view the launch.

FIRST BEST PLACE: NASA Causeway.

SECOND BEST PLACE: Space View Park.

Any guesses as to where Savitre went?

Answer in T-3 seconds:




Yup, I chose the second best place. Okay, I didn't REALLY get to choose because the first choice was sold out *sigh*...BUT... nonetheless, I did NOT do too shabby.

Before I had left the house, I had checked the status on the launch, and they had said it was at a 60% GO. The launch had been scrubbed twice already, and the most recent one being on Tuesday due to an anomaly in the fuel valve of the orbiter. Thousands of people sat soaking in the rain down to the last four minutes just before take off to find out that it was getting scrubbed. What were my chances of sitting out there in the sweltering heat and getting a chance to see the launch?

I got there at 3pm because I had read that it gets really packed and it's hard to find parking.

Umm....but where was everyone?


Photo taken at T-8 hrs.

Sure enough by 9pm (after everyone got out of work and had their dinner, probably in the comfort of their own home), they all appeared out of nowhere! :o) Good thing I got there early and camped out for a rock star spot!


But let's rewind a little.

So, what does Savitre do to kill time?

PLENTY!!!! Life is never a bore, is it? *chuckles*

Let's begin with, I spotted a bunch of cool creatures...




Manatees


Shark Fin!!! *eeep*...okay, it was really a dolphin :o)




...and the rescuing of a sea turtle...poor lil baby 100 lb sea turtle :o(


I also spotted the Fox 35 News van. Oh how I would love to be on TV!!


Oh wait!!! I was! *cheeky grin* As I was hanging out by the pier with an elderly couple, the camera and anchor man came up to me and asked me if they could interview me. "Sure, why not?" I thought. Knowing how many interviews they do, I didn't think they would truly air ME...little o'l ME? Sure enough, they did! I was featured (my 7 seconds of fame) on the six o'clock news saying something along the lines of *ahem-clears throat* "today is my lucky day, I'm sorry that everyone else came out earlier this week and got soaked in the rain, but today is MY lucky day and I KNOW the shuttle WILL launch".

Please don't ask me why I say what I say? If you know me by now, you know that I say a lot of gibberish *hee hee* :o) Well, right after it aired, Reggie called me asking for my autograph...he's such a silly goose like that. I have yet to see it, but thank goodness for Renee's sister, she recorded it on dvr for me. Anyone know how to transfer dvr recordings into a data file? I'll post it on my blog if you tell me how...pleeeez *begs* :o)

Anyways, in the nine hours of sitting and waiting and sitting and waiting some more, it was easy to meet others that shared the same interest - THE SHUTTLE! I met a bunch of friendly folks traveling from all over. I also met a world traveler, Victor (originally from Australia). He helped pass time by sharing stories of his trip thus far and even taught me how to use MY camera (and boy oh boy...never did I realize that I had an extremely uncool camera *hmph*). Anyone want to buy Savitre a really niiiiiice camera for her graduation gift? Hahahaha....yes, until I graduate, I'm going to use "graduation" as an excuse for everthing!!! *giggles*


Check out the storm coming in from the left!!! EGAD!!
No worries...there was no raining to be had on THIS parade! :o)

Alright, here are some of the photos of the shuttle I was able to capture with my not-so-high-tech camera. Enjoy!

Here are photos I found from online :o)



As a child, it's ALWAYS been a dream to see a shuttle launch...this night was priceless! *smiles with content*

No comments:

Post a Comment