Saturday, August 22, 2009

Piece of Cake

As we head into the last two days of the Wedding and Specialty Cake unit, Elizabeth Hollabaugh takes on the challenge of teaching her peers (us) how to pipe icing, roll out fondant, torte a cake, and make gumpaste flowers.

Elizabeth recently graduated from Notter School of Pastry Arts in June. Amongst her classmates, she took first place in the cake competition held at school which awarded her to be in charge of designing their class' graduation cake.

The most exciting part of this course for me so far has been carving cake into a shape of a purse. Most of my classmates airbrushed their colorful gems. I, on the otherhand, strayed from the norm (as usual). *sigh*

Why oh why must I ALWAYS do this to myself??? *shakes head* For some bizarre reason, I thought that making a zebra patterned purse would be a great idea. Though my classmates liked it, I think I would have preferred to airbrush mine to add to the collection of brightly colored purse trend. La dee da...there's always next time! :o)

On Thursday our individual occasional cake project was due. We were each given a different swatch of ribbon and had to design a cake utilizing the ribbon as an inspiration. My ribbon:Before I show you MY cake, let me show you my classmates' cakes:
Anyways, the first thing that came to mind with all the stripes on my ribbon was a child's birthday cake. Blah Blah Blah I thought to myself. There had to be other occasions out there besides weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries. After recovering from a brain hemorrhage from thinking long and hard for an idea...the little light bulb in my head went off. DING DING DING!!!...I hit the jackpot!! *claps in excitement*

Everyone always gets a cake for celebrating something...be it a religious event, graduation, anniversary, etc.

I love cake!! I always want cake!! Cake makes Savitre happy!! :o) But you know what just dawned on me the other day? While people get cake for huge accomplishments or milestones in their lives...I NEVER once got a cake for the four marathons I completed. Was running a marathon not considered a huge accomplishment? Was it not a milestone in my life? OF COURSE IT WAS!! Although I was not able to get a cake for it then, did NOT mean I could not get a cake for it now! Tah Dah!



So to all those of you who have shed many tears, lost many toenails, but still crossed that golden line we call "the finish line"...I present you with my high ratio chocolate Many Miles in a Marathon Cake! (okay, so it's really just me running along the Chicago skyline...but hey, it's the thought that counts, right)? *cheeky grin*








I had so much fun making the cake come to life after sketching it out on paper.
If this cake isn't the epitome of Bake Cake and Run...then I don't know what is *shrugs* :o)













Finally, I got my airbrushing kick in by painting these really nifty looking sneakers. :o)

For the next day and a half, my partner (Christina) and I have to put together a three tiered wedding cake. Stay tuned to see how that turns out. Don'tcha just love cliff-hangers? :o) Dum Dum Duuuuum *tee hee*

1 comment:

  1. Love the marathon cake! The only thing missing is a trail of toenails falling off the runner.

    Looks like you've got Chicago on the brain. So, when are you running the Chicago Marathon again? (evil laugh)

    ReplyDelete