
I had such a fun weekend....I can't wait to do the posting on that. However, before I get to that (which will be another night's project), I would like to catch you up on the happenings at school.

Last week, we wrapped up the Candies and Pralines unit! WOW!! I never knew how much fun it would be!!!...okay, who am I kidding???...we're talking about CANDIES AND PRALINES!!!...not budgets and financial statements (no offense to those of you who enjoy it...but it's just not for me). *shrugs*
Honestly, I feel like I ate more than we made in class (if that's humanly possible). YES YES...I definitely need to get back on track with my long runs. *sigh* I was doing so well too....hahaha unfortunately this weekend won't help because I will be taking a weekend course with Andrew Shotts (more bon bons and confectionary comestibles). *mini claps*
So, what did Chef Notter do? He made little candy elves out of us. We were busy casting molds. Just let me say...it is NOT an easy thing. If you see people do it and it looks easy...it's probably because they've had years of experience. Of course the first day I did it, I dropped the mold into the vat of chocolate....GO ME!! :o) However, for my practical, I was able to do it flawlessly (BUT I must credit Christina for being the guinea pig and risking her mold for the good of our group...WE HEART XTINA!!!!)
By 9am on some days, you could tell that some of our classmates had ONE too many rum truffle. *lol* RUM and CHOCOLATE for breakfast?!?!??! SERIOUSLY...Check out the side effects!!!!!

The day before our practical, we were sending all sorts of goodies through an enrobing machine. That was surely a fun day...but it took us a lot longer to set up the machine and break it down than the time we spent playing with it. Oh well...add that to my list of more toys I want to buy (I swear...I'm going to have to live to be a thousand to have Santa get me all the fun contraptions I've seen in school). *grin*


Anyways, I would DEFINTELY have to say that the BEST part of this unit (minus eating and eating....and eating) would be having Chef Notter as an instructor. I must admit that the night before our first day with him, I was extremely nervous. I didn't know how strict he was going to be or how critical he was going to be with my products.
However, it didn't take our class long to fall in love with him.
CHEF NOTTER:
loves what he does
is BEYOND GREAT at what he does
is extremely fun to joke around with
is one of the most personable instructor
doesn't want you to settle for mediocrity
enjoys showing you how to do it (right) *laughs*
wants students to respect the food and equipment
hates it when you show up to class late or don't show up at all
is what makes going to Notter School of Pastry Arts all worth it
Some of my most memorable phrases that he said were: "May I show you?", "Make a break.", and "Funny, Not Funny." Okay, so maybe that just sounds weird, but you just had to be there!!!
I was quite sad to see this unit come to an end...but this isn't the end of Chef Notter. He will be back to teach us Sugar, Pastillage, and Chocolate Showpieces (I hope). *crosses fingers* Until then, it's off to the Wedding Cake unit...
Wilton: I will try my best to represent you well! (if I don't, it's because I haven't touched cakes since February) :o)

it looks so fun! Savitre,I have a quick question for you. I am kind of struggling between French pastry school in Chicago and Notter School. May I ask why did you choose Notter over French pastry school. For me, Notter school looks more creative and artistic, am I right? Thank you so much for your advice in advance, I really appreciate it! By the way, I am living in Milwaukee and self learning baking now.
ReplyDeleteXiaodi: I am so glad you asked that question...just because THAT was a huge debate for me. Unfortunately, I had no one to turn to for that answer.
ReplyDeleteSo, here is my HONEST opinion...and truly it is JUST an opinion. If I could do it all over again, I KNOW I would have gone to French Pastry. Hands down!
My impulsive decision made me choose Orlando JUST because I am a Disney nutcase. :o)
However, French Pastry's program has been established a lot longer. Notter School is still trying to work out their gliches (and trust me, there are plenty of gliches that still need to be ironed out).
French Pastry appears to be more organized just because they could provide you a list of all the instructors for each of the units taught BEFORE you even apply. At Notter School, we've been "surprised" by many instructors.
There are many more well known instructors for FP's 24 week program (ie Sebastien Canonne, Jacquy Pfeiffer, and En-Ming Hsu...I have seen these people featured in TONS and TONS of pastry books).
At Notter, we've had some pretty good instructors, but Chef Notter has been the only golden ticket we've received at this school...and really this is ONLY good if you want to focus on Sugar and Chocolate (which is where creativity and artistic come into play).
When I return to Chicago...I do plan on taking some of their continuing education classes just because I would love the experience of learning under the aboved mentioned.
I remember touring French Pastry and falling in love with the literature that the school provided. At Notter, formulas and recipes are provided, but not as detailed as FP and sometimes it seems like it's a rough draft in the making.
So, how I would do it (if I could do it all over again), is go to French Pastry for the 24 week program and if there are guest instructors in the continuing education program at Notter that interest you, you could always attend those sessions.
However, my best advice is that if you get a chance to just tour French Pastry, I highly recommend you do it. If you're a city person (like I am)...you'll appreciate being in the heart of the city. Other than Disney and all the other tourist attractions, there isn't a lot going on out here...which can make you homesick quick.
Chef Notter is a big name in the industry, but French Pastry School alone carries a BIG name. Many establishments in the greater Chicago area KNOW of the French Pastry School...whereas a lot of local bakeries here have not even heard of the school :o(
OH, one more bonus for French Pastry is that they have an externship program. That is they can place you to work in the real world for several months up to a year (I'm not sure if you would get paid though)...but it would definitely be a great experience and a foot in the door.
Personally, I'm nervous about finding a job back in Chicago and having to try and compete with the FP graduates...there isn't a career center here at Notter that helps out with that area :o(
It's okay...I'll figure something out :o)
Okay, so it seems like I'm throwing Notter School under the bus...but I'm REALLY not! I think all prospective students should have a realistic outlook to the school. My classmates and I have had several concerns with the school and it's been a frustrating journey...but we've all made a committment, so we're sticking it out. However, I hope this comment provides insight to you and other prospective students having this same dilemma.
I don't think that if you do decide to go to Notter that you'd be making a HUGE mistake...I just think that you might find the whole experience more enjoyable at FP. :o)
I hope I didn't bore you do death. Hope I was of some help. And I wish you the best of luck wherever you decide to go...please keep me posted on your decision :o)
Savitre,
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for your candid opinion. I have browsed your posting and I should admit that your smiling face on the picture made me like Notter a lot. giggling. However, I prefer FPS in person as well not only because my hubby is living in Milwaukee but also I believe FPS's network can offer more career options. And now your insightful information really help me to make the decision. I will go for FPS for sure if they admit me.
Last weekend,I toured French Pastry School and watched Chef Pfeiffer do the demonstration which was amazing and eye-opening.....but I am not so much into their dessert maybe because of my Asian heritage of appetite. I also had a small discussion with Chef Pfeiffer as per course detail. And I agreed with you that FPS's education is more well organized.
By the way, I have never been in any catering or food industry before. I quit the consulting job in March and have been trying to find my real interest ever since. Baking is so new for me but I love it so much! I will keep working and see where my adventure takes me.
I will definitely keep in touch with you. I can be reached at xwang26@gmail.com. Maybe we can catch up for some coffee when you are back to the "windy city".
I don't know how to express my gratitude. Thank you again. Wish you all the best and have fun in Disneyland. My favorite is Donald Duck :)
Good night. Xiaodi
Holy cow, I space off the comments on your blog for a few days and they become all deep and serious all the sudden. What happened?
ReplyDeleteSo, apparently at Notter you bake stuff and make KILLER ROBOTS? Killer Robots would totally kick the French Pastry School's butt. What do they make at FP, baguette bombs? Totally lame. Robots kick ass.
Justin: I know...it's hard to believe there's a serious side to me, eh? Cherish it...because you won't see it often *laughs*
ReplyDeleteAs for the robot..he's not Killer Robot..he's the Tin Man. It was the name I coined the cone shaped contraption since I didn't know what the official baking name was. Go figure, right?
Anyways, he's my secret weapon for Expedition Everest...don't make me use it!!! Muahahahaha :o)
Thank you for sharing. Chocolate equipment is useful for the semi-automatic and fully automatic production of chocolate from bean to bar as well as molding, enrobed and panned chocolates.
ReplyDelete