Saturday, July 4, 2009

Watermelon Crawl


Rolling out of bed EARLY in the morning after a late night of fun was NOT the easiest thing for me to do! Was I looking forward to another run in what already felt like a sauna bath before the run even started???? Of course not, are ya nuts?!?!?! :o)


The race took place in a small residential neighborhood (in Winter Park), so one can only imagine how crowded the run was. There were 3000 hot, sweaty, enthusiastic runners lined up at the start! The anthem played, horn sounded, and the runners were off.


Amongst the throng of trail trekkers was none other than Chef Ewald Notter! I felt like a completely lazy slug next to him. He had already done 4 miles..BEFORE THE RACE! This 5K run was nothing but a cool down run for him.
Hahaha....too funny because when I get to a race, I always see people running before the race and never understood the purpose....now here I was with the founder and Director of Education of Notter School of Pastry Arts and witnessing to him being "one of those people" *sheepish grin*
He gives me great inspiration to run....helps preserve youth, prevent weight gain (it's got to be his secret since he consumes all that sugar all day), and stay fit...HE is living proof!!

My goal (again) was to cross that finish line in one piece! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! *does a moonwalk* <--- in honor of MJ :o)

The fun did not stop there, Kobfa and I signed up (along with hundreds of others) to do the watermelon eating contest. 5 guys and 5 gals were chosen (at random) to see who could eat their chunk'o watermelon the fastest in 3 minutes.



My name did not get pulled...but once again, people I go with do get chosen. Kobfa's name was chosen, but because there had already been 5 guys picked, he was not allowed to do it. The MC was gracious enough to allow lil o'l ME to do it instead!


Rules of the game were as follows:
No hands, no upchucking, no spitting!



So, how did I do? Welllllllllllllll.....you are now looking at 2009's Watermelon Queen!! WOO HOO!!! :o)


Me, FL's Watermelon Queen, Winner of Men's Division (and son)!


I won rights to never inhaling watermelon like that ever again, a whole watermelon, a crown (aka watermelon visor with "QUEEN" written on it"), and two beautifully hand painted wine glasses.

So what have I learned from this experience? Maybe cooking isn't my thing...but EATING sure is!!! Maybe after pastry school I'll go and train with Juliet Lee and Sonya Thomas and join them in the rankings of the International Federation of Competitive Eating. *laughs hysterically* JUST KIDDING....or am I? *wink wink*

It was just nice to run along side my sweet darling lollipoo. Our next appearance will be EXPEDITION EVEREST!

*Note-I had to use this Post Title because it used to be one of my favorite songs amongst many other country songs. How could y'all NOT like line dancing? :o)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like the Watermelon 5K was a fun event. Congrats on the watermelon eating contest. After watching you pack away all that food at Boma, your competitive eating victory doesn't surprise me a bit. I suppose I have to call you Queen Savitre now.

    Well Queeny, see you at Expedition Everest! That may be your next appearance, but it will also be your last. You're goin' down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin: I must admit that I read this comment first thing in the morning before I went to school and it cracked me up!!! You're too funny!!! Too bad I can't take your trash talking serious :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have no doubt Queeny. Your reign ends at Everest.

    ReplyDelete