Saturday, July 18, 2009

Looking At The Same Thing, But Seeing Different Things

This week we continued the Plated Desserts unit with our new commander-in-chief, Chef Sally Camacho.


Chef Sally Camacho received her Associates Degree in Culinary Arts at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. After completing her externship and employment at Caneel Bay Resort, a Rosewood Hotel property, in the Virgin Islands, she returned to San Francisco to complete the Baking and Pastry Program at CCA. Sally then worked directly under Executive Pastry Chef Donald Wressell at the Four Seasons Los Angeles at Beverly Hills for five years. Clearly a turning point in her career and the core basis of her training, she learned all aspects of the hotel industry from plated desserts to wedding cakes as well as helping Chef Wressell train and practice for his many competitions. In 2005, she relocated to Las Vegas, Nevada to open the Wynn Resort as an Assistant Pastry Chef for world renowned Pastry Chef Frederic Robert. The Wynn Hotel is the only five star five diamond casino/resort in the world. She continued her journey as Pastry Chef at James Beard Award winning restaurant Bradley Ogden in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. -2008 World Pastry Team Championship

Her desire (or as she would say "hungriness") for knowledge and success has paid off. I have found it a blessing to have her as an instructor. I have had one of the BEST weeks at school. *mini claps*

Although I must admit that I do NOT have an eye for art, Chef Sally has definitely been an inspiration. Usually when I see things...that's as far as it gets...I just see THE THING! *shrugs* But now she's encouraged looking at things differently, like color scheme, light, shapes, lines,texture, innovative technique, aesthetic appeal, flavor combinations, etc. Not only will this benefit me when I work on my plated desserts, but it will also aid in seeing the world in a different light and hopefully appreciating all that's around me. *sigh of peace*
Usually, as soon as class lets out, the first thing I think about is..."MUST GET TO THE GYM!!!". However, this past week, I have had a lot of fun hanging out with her after school and getting to know her better. She is extremely personable, encouraging, and knowledgable in all facets of life. Very seldom do I meet people I look up to...she definitely makes the list of Top 10 People I Look Up To. :o)



There has definitely been many days that I wake up and say "WHY OH WHY can't I be more artistic?" or "I wish I had dainty hands and fingers!" or "What in the world am I doing here?!?!?!.. I do not belong in this industry!!!!" AND THEN...somthing always happens (a blessing in disguise is what I like to call it)...where my questions and prayers are answered...be it a phone call from Renee, Justin's blog about one of the GREATEST people EVER, Walter E. Disney, or continually knowing that I have the best support group one could ask for!!!!


Boo! The ice cream (that we made and spun) was melting on contact!

I love my blogger fans!!! Thank you everyone who has continually kept me on my feet and encouraged me to "keep going because the race is not over, it has just begun", whether it's from being homesick, keeping on track with working out, pursuing my dreams (whether Big or Sweet and Petite) *wink*, exploring new territory in Orlando, or providing kind words of positive reinforcement!!!


"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison




I know I was suppose to work on a plated dessert, but I couldn't resist the temptation of making a verrine out of the popcorn panna cotta we made in class. I'm so rebellious!! *slyful grin* :o)

2 comments:

  1. I really am impressed with all the creative desserts I see on your blog. I may kid you at times, but in all seriousness I see real talent on display here. Keep at it.

    . . . and you are right, you should worry about getting to the gym every day after classes. Expedition Everest is looming. Your doom is almost at hand . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :o) No worries about me NOT going to the gym....if there's anything that's keeping me alive and well here, it's definitely the gym! I love the gym here...think they'll let me sneak in a camera? hahaha I would love to show you how cool this place is! :o)

    ReplyDelete