
I've been feeling Un-Savitre like these days. I usually can stay positive and happy about a lot of things, but after Thursday's traumatic experience, I have been ANYTHING but positive and happy. *sigh of disappointment*We finished off breakfast pastry on Thursday with a practical and written final exam.
I am definitely an advocate of practice makes perfect. I guess I didn't quite understand how we were expected to make a perfectly looking laminated croissant or a normal looking brioche à tête after doing it just a couple of times. I guess some people have the knack for it and some don't (yours truly).Chef Tim told us that working with dough requires gentle hands....hmmm.....I'm the same girl that jump started her own car....do I seem like a girl with gentle hands? NO!!! I'm no Martha Stewart....I'm more Bob Vila!...hence the reason why I would rather manually roll out dough than use the silly sheeter!
This gosh darn thing would do nothing but eat up my dough, spit it out, then laugh at me! I kid you not!....It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! :o)
Well, I thought I'd make up for it on the written final seeing that I studied my brains out...but NO...that wasn't the case either. How was I supposed to know what the French word for puff pastry is?...our book says mille-feuille...but Wikipedia says pâte feuilletée. Which one is it?!?!?! Too bad that wasn't the only question I answered incorrectly...now I'm wondering if I spelled my name correctly on the test. *frowns*
Anyways, I have been having a lot of personal issues with the happenings in school...but thank goodness I have this three day weekend to recuperate and regroup...sometimes you're better off not knowing the answer to the ever so popular question..."WHY?"

As for breakfast pastries....I guess I won't be opening up a bed and breakfast anytime soon...but thank goodness for an upcoming weekend class with Ciril Hitz that may make me rethink how I truly feel about breakfast pastries. *cracks a grin*
All in all, Chef Tim will be missed. He's taught me lots, not only about bread but also about one's own character..."By seeing the seed of failure in every succes, we remain humble. By seeing the seed of success in every failure we remain hopeful."-unknown I must continue to remind myself "Savitre, don't be so hard on yourself...you're in school to learn....no one expects anything more from you than trying your best...so go get 'em tiger" *cheeky grin*
After class, I had a little pow wow at my house. It was a potluck dinner and night of games.
Thank you Renee for providing the source of entertainment...and CONGRATS on getting the job at the French Pavillion in Epcot...I'm sorry you couldn't stay longer at the party so that I could beat you at Cranium!! *winks*
I attempted to make my famous papaya salad...only I had never seen an orange mushy gushy papaya before. Everyone here told me that that was the papaya they know it to be...but I've only made it with green ones...so it went from a papaya salad to papaya salsa. Oh well, still yummers! :o)

Elena, being the sweet heart that she is, made us a huge helping of lasagna and tasty garlic bread...I kinda sorta observed her making it and she did it in about 30 minutes....watch out Rachel Ray!!! :o)

It was super delicious and looked so easy to make....I MUST steal the recipe from her!!! *evil laugh*

Reggie brought us some hot wings, Kiku brought a tray of assorted cookies, Lorenzo with his ice cream and a bouqet of tulips, and John and Samantha with their cute little rice krispy treats with M&Ms on top (how did they know that M&Ms were my favorite)?
Mmmm...Mmm! I have not had a feast like this since I left Chicago....I feel like I could go into hibernation now and not eat for the next 5 months that I am here.....or as Justin would say...run it off! *wink wink* :o) (Thinking about you on your 20K!!!!)After an excruciatingly painful day of breakfast pastry practical and final exam, this was DEFINITELY the way to end the day and kick start a three day weekend! *smile of content*

Bob Villa? How about Tim the Toolman Taylor from Home Improvement. (grunt grunt grunt). Get the biggest Binford Power Tool in the catalog to sheet that bread.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, sheeting bread? That sounds like something you do a few hours after you eat it. Sheeting, really?
Okay soldier, now pick yourself up and get running! I can't imagine what being around all this great food is doing to you.
I get the munchies whenever I read one of your posts.