Monday, May 18, 2009

Breakfast Pastries

Oh where does the time go?

It's been such a busy week or so and so much has happened....I just might have to break up this post into two separate ones (as to not bore anyone to sleep).

Speaking of sleep, it's 11pm right now and I should be going to bed but I find it meditative to blog...so that's what I'm going to do! *go ahead try and stop me!* :o)


WARNING: You may gain 10-15 lbs just from reading this post!


In school we've graduated from bread baking to breakfast pastries!!!! All that studying for the final exam paid off because I rocked it, but I will need to work on my baguette technique...didn't do so hot on that...but still passed nonetheless. YAY ME! :o)


As for breakfast pastries...hmmmm....all I've ever known breakfast to be was a nice cold bowl of cereal or warm bowl of oatmeal, but my choices now are LIMITLESS!! It's just toooo exciting *refraining from bouncing off the walls* :o)





Chef Tim has kept us busy in the kitchen making scones, donuts, bagels, brioches (swiss, pumpkin, and cherry almond), cinnamon rolls, and sticky buns....need I say more????

OKAY, I will!....we've also made gibassiers, panettones, muffins (blueberry and corn), pumpkin bread, and tyrolean chocolate cake. The best part of it all is that we're ONLY four days into it!!!! What else could we possibly put on the menu??!?!?





Does anyone know someone that can lipo-suck all this butter out of my system? *laughs*










No Dunkin Donuts here...just the REAL thing!! :o)


Mystery of The Pannetone



(typical bread of Milan usually prepared and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year around Italy)

Based on these fanciful folk etymologies, where do YOU think the name panettone came from?


  1. 15th century legend from Milan credits the invention to the nobleman falconer Ughetto Atellani, who fell in love with Adalgisa, the daughter of a poor baker named Toni. To win her over, the nobleman disguised himself as a baker and invented a rich bread to which he added flour and yeast, butter, eggs, dried raisins and candied lemon and orange peel.
    The duke of Milan, Ludovico il Moro Sforza (1452-1508), agreed to the marriage, which was held in the presence of Leonardo da Vinci, and encouraged the launch of the new cake-like bread: Pan de Toni (or Toni's bread).


  2. the cake was invented in the court of the Sforzas, with the following story:
    It was Christmas and the court cook had no dessert to offer. So the guests were given a sweet bread baked by a mere kitchen boy, called Toni, which won general praise. Rather than steal the praise for himself, the cook congratulated his assistant and named it after him.


  3. the word derives from the Milanese, "pan del ton," meaning "bread of luxury."

Time to get my beauty sleep...but I promise the next blog will be less fattening for you...I can't wait to tell you about my weekend with my Snuggly Boo :o)

2 comments:

  1. Your blog always makes me hungry. It's getting worse now that you're moving from bread to pastries.

    I know a few people who can liposuck that butter, but they charge plenty for it. The only cheap alternative is to just beat the hell out of it with lots of long runs.

    Vegas huh? Already run out of things to do in Orlando?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin: Thanks for the tip on the cheaper alternative to liposuck...today when I was on the treadmill, all I could think of was the butter melting out of my system. GROSS!! *giggles*...but you're definitely right!!! :o)

    I'm HOPING (keyword) to go to Vegas to visit Vincent Pilon...I told him I wanted to go and he emailed me that that was his only free weekend for awhile...how could I pass up this opportunity?... FINANCES...that's how! :o)..so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete