Sunday, May 3, 2009

In Chocolate Heaven with Vincent Pilon

This has been the weekend I've been looking forward to FOREVER!!!


So, how'd it go?

Well, Chef Vincent
is definitely no angel. :o)



He's such a fun easy going guy...and such a goof!







His attempt to use an Xacto knife as a lethal weapon on Craig!









...such a Tony Parker wannabe *laughs*


Sorry Chef, don't quit your day job as a Master Chocolatier!



Although I had an extremely tiring weekend...it was fun! I felt like I was taking a Wilton course all over again. *reminiscing of the good o'l days*



We didn't learn much about chocolate itself, but rather how to work in groups and make impressive showpieces, plated dessert parts, and bon bons.







Eventually filled with Milk Chocolate Caramel Ganache and a Jelled Raspberry Coulis. Try saying that 5 times fast! :o)












My first attempt at a chocolate flower definitely deserves a "WOW"!!! *cheeky grin*

































Showpieces from the other groups.


And for our's (mine and Kiku)...


Drum Roll Please........





There's no way anyone can say "soooooo cute" to this....THIS is definitely a WOW factor or a bunch of Oooos and Aaaahs!

Not bad for a first timer, eh? My only experience with chocolate prior to this was....eating it! :o) Now look at me go! *pats myself on the back*

Chef Vincent's comment on it..."super clean"!

That's an awesome compliment because in the pastry world you always want your work to look clean...so YAY US!!! :o)

Although it is decidely so that I am officially sleep deprived and have neglected running, this was an unforgettable experience and so worth it all! Will I do another weekend class and sacrifice sleep again? Sure I will! I'm only at Notter once!!! :o)

...now back to another week of bread making! :o)

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys have a blast in class. The Xacto knife thing? A little freaky.

    You're right, your chocolate sculpture has escaped the realm of "cute". That one is cool.

    Saw your twitter feed. Epcot huh? How's the Flower and Garden Festival? I've always been curious.

    Another point of randomness: Did you know that you're going to get a bonus medal this fall? Disney announced that participants who complete both Race for the Taste and Expedition Everest will get a 3rd bonus medal. Sort of like the Goofy bonus medal. They haven't shown the medal yet, but it should be neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin: Yes, I must admit that I have a blast in class...but my pictures don't do justice for how hard we all actually work.

    I'm not sure if there was a specific area for the Flower and Garden Festival seeing as we didn't really go there to play. My classmates are looking for a job and one of them has a connection with the Chef in the French Pavillion. I didn't think we were going to stay long so I didn't bring my camera *frown* Oh well, there's always next time! :o)

    Yes, I did know about the medal because after I registered, it told me. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to get the medal so I emailed the race people and they said they'll merge the records of people who do both and let them know more info on the medal later. I was ecstatic to hear that...because it's like the Goofy all over again! :o)

    Though, I really should kick myself into high gear with running if I want to get third medal *laughs*. If only I could run a mile for every bite I take in class *sigh* :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should've figured you knew about the bonus medal.

    The Epcot Flower and Garden Festival is throughout the park. At the entrance, they usually have a large topiary display. In Future World they have a butterfly house, and replace large tracts of grass with a quilt of flowers. In World Showcase, they plus all the gardens and add topiaries everywhere.

    I suppose the Food and Wine Festival is more down your alley. That starts the day before the Expedition Everest Challenge! Guess where I'll be that Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH!!! Hahahaha....yeah, I noticed that the bushes or as you would say "topiary" (haha...big word for me) were unusually different. They were all shaped into Disney characters!!! It was definitely neat to see....that was the one reason I wished I brought my camera...I REALLY hate being without it! As for butterflies!!!....no thank you!!! Funny you should mention that though because my next post (which I am currently working on) discusses those beautiful creatures. *laughs*

    ReplyDelete