It's a new month, with a new unit and a new teacher...which means NEW ATTITUDE!I see great things for this NEW beginning! *great big smile*
We've left breakfast pastries behind and are now faced with the challenges of petit fours, mignardies, and patisserie. WHOA BABY!!!....many new words to learn!! *looks frightened*
We've left breakfast pastries behind and are now faced with the challenges of petit fours, mignardies, and patisserie. WHOA BABY!!!....many new words to learn!! *looks frightened*
When I first heard of petit fours, I was all excited because 4 is my favorite number. :o)
However, I just learned that petit fours has NOTHING to do with the number 4. *sigh*

They include any small cake or pastry that can be eaten in one or two bites. They are typically served at the end of a meal, with afternoon tea, or for buffets and receptions. The term comes from the French meaning "small oven". :o)
Anyways, how is Savitre liking this class so far? I am having a blast!! *cheeky grin*Chef Jim has made busy lil cookie monsters out of us for the past two days. We've made spritz, chocolate chip, hazelnut, sugar, linzer, *takes a breath* shortbread, oatmeal raisin, biscotti, and praline rings. *phew* I've never been a cookie person...my favorite has always been chocolate chip with M&Ms but I never knew how fun it was to make cookies. The best part about it is that you don't need an oven that steams (like you do for bread), so all these recipes that we learned could be made at home!!! *does a happy dance*

This class is going to require more work outside of school because at the end of the unit, we have to turn in a portfolio with notes and pictures. Everyone has been listening intently and taking as many photos as possible. *cheeeeeese* :o)
Don't get me wrong...we're still having FUN!!

Chef Jim doesn't fail to continue to make me laugh!! Chef, you're such a goof...YOU ROCK!!!!
Now switching gears from TREAT to FEET! Pleeeez help me regain my joy of running!!! *on bended knees begging*
This past weekend, I'm not quite sure what happened to me, but when I got on the treadmill to do my regularly scheduled 3 miles, I was struggling
from the minute the machine turned on!!! *frown*
from the minute the machine turned on!!! *frown*I also managed to hurt my back from using the Gravitron. A wuh?!?!?!
For people like me who can't do a pull up, this machine assists in that area. It's really cool, but because I haven't worked out any other muscle in my body since the ice age, it was easy to overdo it. I'm okay now...no worries! *thumbs up*
So, after this complete failure of a weekend for working out, I've decided I needed to set a goal for myself. I continue to read blogs about others who are accomplishing goals left and right and all I'm doing is EATING!!! *guilty grin*
Here is my game plan...listen carefully, cause I'm only going to say it once (unless you come back to read this blog again). *giggles*
Since I will be running a 13K (8.08 miles) at the end of October, I figured I'd start training for that because if I don't, I would continue to wuss out and do my measly 3 miles and then freak out the night before the 13K.
Soooo....
here's my training schedule! :o) 

Click on the chart to take you to the link!
It's a 15K training schedule (for novice runners) for only 10 weeks, but I figured I'd do it twice so that I would be in top shape for the 13K. I will also have to do the first two weeks twice to get on track...but it's all goooooood! *feeling like a champ*
Yesterday began day 1 of week 1...a successful 2 days!!! *hip hip HOORAY!* :o)
I'm not sure why I get bitten by all these other bugs out here in Florida EXCEPT for the running bug! Ever since the New York City Marathon, I was never able to get that runner's high ever again. Whenever I go running now, I do it just to do it. I have good runs but it's just not the same as when I first started out running 6 years ago. Maybe I'm due for a race and immersing myself amongst my fellow runners...not quite sure, but I'm hoping that this training plan will be a good start! *crosses fingers*

OH HOW I MISS MY CURB CREW!!!!
Time to go update my notes for school now! :o)
Maybe you are due for a race to get the excitement going again. Sign up for the Orlando Runner's Club 5K. It takes place on June 13, 2009 at 7:30 a.m. Registration is only $18 if you register before June 6. Otherwise, it is $20 until June 12; and $25 day of race registration.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a small, but fun, event. Just think, you've got 11 days to train for it! Plenty of time.
Any training plan is a good plan. The one you've outlined looks fine. It could use a little more insanity, but no plan is perfect right?
Justin: You are such a wonderful virtual training coach. Yes, I think I must definitely get a race in (even if it's a 1K) *laughs* because it's a lonely road out there running by yourself. I did see the 5K race that you had mentioned but that is the same weekend that I will be taking breakfast pastries with Ciril Hitz...so I will not be able to do that run. Boo!
ReplyDeleteBut I think you're on to something...I did see a Watermelon 5K the weekend of 4th of July. Tee hee...it sounds so silly...but silly and I are synonymous! :o)
Watermelon 5K? Interesting. Not as interesting as the Flying Pig Marathon, but interesting nevertheless.
ReplyDeleteWhat are you waiting for soldier, get signed up pronto for the Watermelon 5K!!!!!!!!!!!