Thursday, June 18, 2009

Petit Four No More

PREPARE FOR A PHOTO FILLED BLOG :o)

Okay, so I've finally concluded that blogging is becoming more and more difficult to fit into my schedule...with school all day, gym afterwards, updating notes for school, and getting to bed at a normal time. *hmph*

It makes me sad not to be able to document my daily happenings...but I guess I just need to somehow make more time for it. But where oh where does the time go?

Without further ado...let's see what's been bake'n at Notter.
On Tuesday we finished our Petit Four unit...which I'm quite sad about. I actually liked that unit because all the pastries were sooooo cute. :o)

Chocolate Orange

(hidden orange coulis inside and sitting on an almond daquoise)



Mango Passion



Pate Choux


(translates to "cabbage paste", referring to the cabbage-like shape of cream puffs)



Brownies


Madelines and Financiers


Apple Custard Tart


Macaroons

For our practical, we had to create a pate choux, petit four sec (a selection of dry cookies), and a petit four of our choice.

What did Savitre decide to do?

For the pate choux, I decided to do a profiterole. The choux paste is baked into small round puffs that are served cold with a sweet filling and sometimes a topping. The term profiterole refers to a filling of ice cream. A cream puff has a filling of whipped cream or pastry cream.

For the petit four sec, I chose to do Rice Krispy Cookies...not to be mistaken with Rice Krispy Treats. These cookies are Tah DIE FOR!!! :o)


And for the petit four of my choice, I wanted to do a verrine (a confection, originally from France, made by layering ingredients in a small glass. It can be either sweet or savoury, making a dessert or snack.). Any guesses on my inspiration?.....CHOCOLATE, BUT OF COURSE! :o)


The bottom layer is a milk chocolate mousse, topped with a chocolate ganache (with Rice Krispy Cookie crumbs mixed in to give it texture), followed by a nice light praline mousse, and finally a super mega sweet whip cream topping. Talk about being a chocaholic!!!...That's ME!!! :o) *giggles*


Anyways, this is only a fraction of what we did in petit fours. I'd be here forever trying to upload all the pics.


For now, we've moved on to Classical Cakes and Tarts. WHAT?!?!?!? Did someone say CAKE?!??!?! Yippie!! I'm super excited...this is where I come in! Maybe I didn't know much about bread, or breakfast pastries, or petit fours, but when it comes to cake...NOW we're speaking my language.


Yesterday we were busy baking away and today we decorated. Check it out!!!

We made Grandma's Chocolate Cake, Carrot Cake, California Fruit Tart, Apple Custard Tart, and NY Cheesecake....and none of them came out of a Pillsbury box. *chuckles* I was so proud and excited of our accomplishments...but then it dawned on me that I had no one to share all this yummy goodness with. I watched all my classmates strategically pack them away to take home to their loved ones...and then there was me. *sniff * :o(

I ended up taking home the carrot cake and cheese cake...and figured I will eat them by myself...*ho hum* such is life! :o) WHATEVER!!! TWO WHOLE CAKES to myself and not having to share or worry that someone else is going to get the bigger slice or last slice???? THIS is definitely a sweet life!!!!

Star, Veena, Jon...if you're reading this...know that I'll share this with y'all ANY day!!!! :o) With 15 weeks left to go in pastry school...you guys can be my taste tester anytime!!! Star, maybe I'll have left over for your 4th of July bash!!! (if not, I'm sure I'll have something) :o)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Please bring whatever you want :D
    And yes, I will gladly be a tester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should really stop reading your blog during lunch; everything looks soooooo good!

    Mmmmmm...Chocolate....garrrrr- sorry, recovering chocoholic here.

    You certainly do have the magic touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star: I'm so glad everyone at the BBQ enjoyed the cheesecake :o)

    Anonymous: You are too funny! Thanks for the kind words. Better to be hungry during lunch than late at night, eh? :o) But I hear ya....I've been eating more than baking!!! SOOOOOO GOOOD!! Hard to resist temptation!

    As for recovering chocoholic...hmmm...I'd say...if you can't beat 'em...JOIN EM! :o)

    ReplyDelete