The weather was gorgeous, people were stunning, and the food was sumptuous.
One of my favorite things to do when traveling is renting a car (I know...it doesn't take much to make me happy). :o) It always feels like opening a birthday gift when you're handed the keys to a car that you DON'T know what you're going to get. So what did we get this time?
My first impression: I didn't think I had sunglasses dark enough to block out the bright shining blue...but I came to love it because it was also a convertible!
We definitely revelled in joy riding around town in our Cruiser.
Because I had been to Vegas before, my intentions for this trip was not for gambling, partying, and glam. This time I wanted to check out the sweeter side of Vegas!...Man oh Man was I in store for a treat!!!! :o)

We began our trip by checking out the Ethel M Chocolate Factory Tour.
Ethel M is owned by Mars Incorporated and was named after the mother of Forrest Mars.
In 2007 the company made the transition from Ethel M Chocolates into Ethels Chocolate. The new branding boasts a whole new line of 48 different handmade-gourmet chocolates designed by master chocolatier Jin Caldwell.
Unfortunately, when we got there, they were no longer making anymore goodies. *boo hoo*
"That's okay", I thought to myself because the trip had just begun. :o)
We continued our sacchariferous trip into the famous hotels of The Strip.

I was excited to see the carrot cake cookie because we had just made carrot cake in class on Thursday. 

Golly gee!!! I definitely wanted to get my hands on one of EVERYTHING...but I settled for the vanilla macaroon! GOOD CHOICE SAVITRE!!! :o) *pats myself on the back*





Our feet were tired, we had a long day of travel, but nothing was going to stop us from getting to the Bellagio.
Here, we struck gold...er CHOCOLATE rather!!!! :o)
At the entry way encased in glass was a floor to ceiling chocolate fountain! My jaw dropped, mouth watered, and eyes wide as that of a kid in a candy store...I thought I died and went to heaven! *eyes gazing*As much as you wanted to take your eyes off of it and browse the bakery, you just couldn't. When I finally got pushed around by the crowd and all the other excited visitors I was knocked back to conscious and continued to browse at all the delectables this place...this pastry paradise had to offer.
We had made it to Jean-Philippe Patisserie. There were cake displays all around, counters full of fresh pastries, and walls filled with purchasable confectionery treats, and a long line of happy customers waiting to place an order for fresh crepes.




Words cannot describe this experience...but I'll give it a try (but know that nothing I say will do justice for the actual experience)!I was excited just to get a chance to see Chef Vincent again. I thought it would be a meet and greet and let him go his merry way back to his busy life...but NO, that was definitely NOT the case.
Oh my goodness, instead, he was gracious enough to take time out of his busy schedule and take us down to his bake shop and show us his kitchen, meet some of his staff, and see where all the works of art are created.We also spent some time in his office checking out photos of some of his greatest creations. If you know me, I am easily star struck and loss for words. However, when chatting with Chef Vincent, there was definitely a feeling of ease. I wanted to just pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, and go through each and every one of his photos in detail while listening to his life stories.
I was excited to see some of his chocolate showpieces...especially his latest work for The Lion King opening (seen on the right).
When I thought that I had seen it all, I had soon realized that THIS was just the beginning. He continued by showing us the "secret" passage ways of Mandalay Bay and areas I could never afford but only dreamed of seeing. (sorry, don't have any pics because I felt like it was top secret info that should only be captured in the memories of my mind).
Before I knew it, we ended up in the kitchen of the Grill on the beach and then soon walking amongst the hotel guests of the beach. The feeling was surreal. I couldn't believe what was actually happening...I, ME, lil Savitre, was walking around with Chef Vincent Pilon. It seemed only like yesterday I was watching the Food Network Challenges and seeing him win every competition he competed in...but NOW, I was there with him!!!! *still in awe*
Two hours later, we were on the casino floor, taking in recommendations of restaurants, and even going into one that was not open yet (Aureole). More joy and excitement came upon me when I saw the 42-foot-tall glass-enclosed "wine tower".
As soon as I saw it, I recognized it from when Lisa Garza (The Next Food Network Star) had to do a challenge in it!
I had never had a backstage pass to a concert before, but THIS definitely felt like VIP access. There was something about walking around with Chef Vincent that made you feel important, inspired, and definitely blessed with such an opportunity.
After we parted with him, Kobfa and I were paralized by the whole experience. We went to eat at The Noodle Shop (recommended by Chef Vincent). As we sat there, we were both basically loss for words. All we did was basically replay over and over in our heads everything that had just happened. I am forever grateful to Notter School of Pastry Arts for giving me the opportunity to have taken a class by him...AND I am forever grateful to Chef Vincent for making time for us and sharing with us. A visit with him was just the cup of tea I needed to rejuvenate my spirit for school.
The trip did not end here!!!....No trip to Vegas (for me at least) is complete without a visit to the land of my favorite chocolate candy~the four story M&Ms World.

If this isn't the SWEETEST trip to Vegas...I don't know what is!
Now, as Christina would say..."I need to sugar detox". :o)




Great pictures! I could go for a nice big piece of chocolate about now!
ReplyDeleteAwesome trip report. I've never seen this side of Vegas. On the TV, I see murder (CSI), gambling and casinos (Travel Channel), and timeshare offers (commercials). Who knew that Vegas was all pastries and chocolate!
ReplyDeleteI kinda sorta went to Vegas last year. I helped my sister move out to California. Our route went right through Vegas. I had pondered getting lunch there, but I was focused on eating dinner at Disneyland's Downtown Disney.
Major dork slap to the forehead halfway between Vegas and LA. After leaving the strip far behind, I realized that the Star Trek Experience was open for just a few more weeks. That lunch in Vegas would have been my only chance to go--EVER. Major bummer. (Now you really see my geek side).
Anonymous: Thanks! Although, I think I would LOVE to take a food photography class someday :o) (tee hee)...the school just never ends for me!
ReplyDeleteJustin: Your definitely not a dork!...but here's a good idea to get you out to Vegas....go do the marathon there!!...I heard the run goes down the strip and that part is supposed to be really cool!!!! :o)