
OMGoodness! Never in my wildest dreams could I ever imagine blogging about Italian Beef!!!
However, with the Taste of Chicago in full bloom right now, I began to miss the thought of not being able to frequent this annual event...the sweaty crowd, the blistering heat, the rowdy lines, highway robbery prices, but most importantly...the unforgettable aroma that fills the atmosphere.
So many restaurants, so many decisions, so little time. One could only spend so much time walking around this madness before deciding to go back and rejoice in air conditioning and the peace and quietness of their humble abode.
I for one, ALWAYS manage to get my usual...corn on the cob from Dominick's, elephant ears (fried dough) from Harry Caray's, and of course the Italian Beef from Tuscany. For those of you that have a sweet tooth, I would recommend Eli's Cheesecake, chocolate covered strawberries or chocolate dipped frozen bananas from Aunt Diana's Candy Makers,...OR Kobfa's favorite, the Rainbow Ice Cream from Original Rainbow Cone.
Because of all the sugar I have been consuming, I have been craving something succulent, something meaty, something spicy, something savory, something that makes me say "aaaaaah...now THIS is life". :o)
I have been craving an Italian Beef!!!!
Today, I asked my classmates where I could find good Italian Beef. To my surprise, they all gave me a look of confusion. They had no idea what I had been talking about. WHAT?!?!?! How could you not know what an Italian Beef is? At that moment, sadness fell upon me because I knew my chances of getting my hands on one of those soggy richness was slim to none.
However, Reggie, bless his heart, decided to jump on the internet during our lunch break and look it up.
To our surprise, there was a Giordano's out here in Orlando. I had never had an Italian Beef from Giordano's before, but since it's one of Chicago's favorite food venues, I figured that might be the closest to an original Italian Beef I'll get out here.
There are varying degrees of juiciness, depending on your taste. Nomenclature varies from stand to stand, but wet or dipped means the bread is quickly dunked in "the juice" (au jus); juicy even wetter; soaked is dripping wet.
ME!!!! I ordered EXTRA DIPPED! :o)
How did Giordano's do? The Italian Beef did not come with giardiniera (a common Chicago condiment on Italian Beef)...so I settled for jalapeno peppers instead...but it SURE hit the spot! *licks lips* Feels good to have a taste of home again. :o)
So to my fellow peeps in Chi-town...DO NOT take this mouth-watering goodness for granted!!! When I get back to Chicago...we are hitting the town at Al's Beef (or Portillo's...whichever is still open) *chuckles*

Giordano's . . . hey I saw one of those near our rental house in Kissimmee. Krystal kept saying all sorts of great things about a Giordano's in Chicago. Something about really good pizza.
ReplyDeleteJustin: YES! Giordan's is definitely a place to go for Chicago's deep dish pizza. Since you didn't make it to Giordano's in Kissimmee...guess you'll just have to go to Chicago (and visit me of course) :o)
ReplyDelete