Monday, September 7, 2009

Eat Drink and Be Extremely Full

Warning: This post has nothing to do with baking, nothing to do with running, just tons and tons of eating. So, if you're like me and LOVE TO EAT...this post is for you. :o) Oh, and it's an unusually long post...don't say I didn't warn you :o)



While some women like to spend their money on purses, shoes, or clothes...Savitre loves indulging in FOOD...glorious FOOD! *hee hee*. I love it when my hometown hunny comes to visit, it means time to explore new restaurants!

This weekend was definitely not one bite short of what we do best...EAT!! (it's the number one thing we have in common). Boy oh boy...oh how we love to eat *rubs belly* :o)

After picking up Kobfa from the bus stop in the pooring rain, running errands, and visiting Renee and her sister, we decided to fulfill my craving for Thai food (it's been almost SIX months of Thai food deprivation)! So, we headed to Thai Thani in Celebration.

I didn't know what to expect because the Thai community in Orlando is definitely not as big as it it in Chicago. However, when we walked in, we were greeted with a friendly smile and immediately shown to a table. The restauarant was spic and span and definitely had an authentic feel. My FAVORITE drink at any Thai restaurant is a Thai Iced Coffee and Kobfa's is the Thai Iced Tea. After skimming through the menu, I felt like I could order one of EVERYTHING. *Mmm*

However, we settled for:


Som Tum - GREEN papaya thinly sliced, mixed with string beans, tomatoes, and flavored with dry shrimp, peanuts, chili, garlic, and lime juice.

Nam Sod - Ground pork sauteed with ginger, lime juice, onion, shallots, and peanuts, served on a bed of lettuce.
Garlic Steamed Mussel - Mussels steamed with lemon grass and basil leaves served with house spicy sauce. First time I had mussels was in Brussels when I was 13...loved it ever since.
Phad Bai Kapow - Basil leaves, onions, scallions, and bell peppers stir-fried with chicken.

I was hoping that they would have mango and sticky rice for dessert, but unfortunately they didn't. Instead, we settled for Sang Khaya - Thai Custard (sorry, I forgot to take a picture because I was too excited to dive my fork in and chow away at it)...maybe next time. :o) Ahh...this sure hit the spot!




As though we didn't get enough rice in our diet, the next day we headed to downtown Orlando to check out Ichiban Sushi. However, our anxiousness got the better of us and we were there an hour and a half before they opened (DOH! *smacks forehead* should have done my research). It was all good because this gave us a chance to scope out downtown (which seemed pretty dead for a Friday during work hours *frown*) and take a nice stroll around Lake Eola. Was it worth the wait? INDUBITABLY!! :o)


As of now, I cannot remember how many sushi restaurants I've been to here in Orlando, but this is definitely TOPS on my list. It's a trendy and chic locale. We ordered the Naha Roll, Sonic Bomb, Dynamite Roll , and Spicy Tuna Roll (something we ALWAYS order to gauge how good everything else is going to be). Sure enough, it was extremely good, I ordered another Dynamite Roll and Kobfa ordered another Spicy Tuna Roll. Hmm....guess we should've saved the walk around Lake Eola for AFTER dinner. *long exhale* :o) Maybe I should start an Eat Sushi and Run blog!! *laughs*


Later that evening we just HAD to get dessert...so when it's late and you have a hankering for something sweet...where do you go?


The BIGGEST ice cream stand in town!

Yeppers...Twistee Treat...for some good o'l fashion soft served ice cream on a cone. :o)


Umm...so at this point, one would think we consumed enough food to last us through Chicago's bitter winter, right? WRONG! To top it all off, we had made a reservation about a month ago for Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian.


Mood: I had fun getting dressed up and dining amongst an older crowd (it was clear that Kobfa and I were the youngest ones there).


Ambience: dimly lit, music provided by a live harpist.


Service: Two attentive servers ("Victoria" and "Albert"). They were willing to bring me a shawl since they keep the AC on high because the gentlemen were required to wear a jacket. As soon as I sat down, they brought me a mini stool to put my camera on so it did not have to dangle off the chair or rest on the floor/table. Before we left, I was given a long-stemmed red rose, an orange-date-nut bread, and our personalized menus kept in pristine condition throughout dinner. We even got a tour of the kitchen, met some of the chefs, and saw where the Chef's Table Dinner was located (hmmm...put this on my list of must do). The tour is not included in the dinner, but curious lil Savitre just had to ask for one...so I encourage you to ask! :o)


Food: SUPERB!! A six course semi-fixed menu with a pre-appetizer. We also did the wine pairing...have not had some of the best wines in a looooong time. :o) Kobfa and I each had alternate selections for each course so that we could try more of these palate-pampering delights.


Okay, so there's really nothing I could say about this place that will do justice for it..so instead, I will leave you with pictures (and description) of our exquiste culinary dining experience.


Three bread courses with three different butters.


Amuse Bouche (bite sized hors d'oeuvre = pre-appetizer): They are different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons, but when served, are according to the chef's selection alone. Because tomato was in season, the dish consisted of four different preparations. My favorite...the tomato custard baked in an eggshell. Champaigne pairing: Pommery Royale Brut NV

And so begins our two hour journey into the six course feast:


TOP: Prosciutto Wrapped Gulf Shrimp with Florida Melons and Jamon Iberico. Wine Pairing: Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Kabinett Abtsberg, Mosel 2007
BOTTOM: Sesame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with Tat Soi Salad and Tamari Honey Foam. Wine Pairing: Marcel Deiss Pino Blanc Bergheim, Alsace 2005




LEFT: Black Grouper with Zellwood Corn and Bamboo Rice Ragout. Wine Pairing: Langtry Sauvignon Blanc Guenoc Valley Estate 2007
RIGHT: Red King Samon with California Asparagus, Crab and sauce Bearnaise. Wine Pairing: Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes, Belgium




TOP: Duck Breast, Sausage and Confit with Salsify, Cherry Sauce. Wine Pairing: Acacia Pinot Noir, Carneros 2006
BOTTOM: Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout, English Peas and Yellow Chanterelles. Wine Pairing: Apollo-Falter Spatburgunder Rheinhessen 2007


LEFT: Marcho Farms Veal Tenderloin with Marble Potatoes, Ramps and Sauce Soubise. Wine Pairing: Cesari Mara Ripasso Valpolicella, Veneto 206
RIGHT: Niman Ranch Lamb with Sumer Vegetables and Celery Root. Wine Pairing: Castillo Perelada La Garriga Samso, Catalonia 2005



TOP: White Chocolate Gelato with Tableside Shavings and Micro Orchids. Wine Pairing: Paolo Saracco Moscato D'Asti, Piedmont 2006
BOTTOM: Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farm's Goat, 36 Month Aged Parmigiano-Reggiano and Thomasville Tomme. Wine Pairing: Quinta do Crasto Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2002


LEFT: Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid, Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle, and Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream and Puff Pastry.
RIGHT: Caramelized Banana Gateau



Finally we finished off the meal with "Celebes" Coffee brewed right on our table.


No matter how full you get, you always manage to find room for Friandise (a French term for confections, a variety of small sweets such as preserved fruits, petit fours, or truffles served after the dessert course). The salted carmel was the best. The best way to eat it is turn it upside down so that the salt touches the tongue first! YUMMERS! :o)


Okay...NOW stick a fork in me, because I'M DONE!!! :o)


p/s During this Labor Day weekend...while some ran a two hour half marathon...I did a two hour eating marathon! YAY ME!! :o)

2 comments:

  1. There is no way I can compete with your eating. All I had to day was a burrito. Not nearly as exciting that all this stuff.

    Seriously, you should look like Jabba the Hutt eating like that all the time. I had to put on elastic pants just to read your post.

    I have vague memories of eating at Victoria and Albert's in 1989. Definitely a different Walt Disney World dining experience. I think it's time to go again.

    I'll tell you what, you sign up for Goofy 2011. We'll get ADRs for a Team Goofy post-race dinner at the Victoria and Albert's Chef's Table. Can you imagine everyone trying to leave the table after dinner.

    Legs not working. Bellies too full to walk normally. It'll be the post-marathon/dinner double whammy. We'll need wheelchairs for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIVE TO EAT!!!! hahahaha...I think I just found my purpose in life. Someone has to consume all the food that people make...might as well be me :o)

    GOOFY 2011, eh? hahaha...well, I've actually thought about returning to the marathon world...the Cincinnati Flying Pigs would be my first if I did...but I don't know if I could think beyond that and into a Marathon and a Half just yet :o) THOUGH the V&A Chef Table is a GREAT incentive!!! *chuckles* (how dare you tempt me with food) :o)

    ReplyDelete